Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What's In A Name

The Boo Boo Patch really sounds kinda cheesy at a first glance. I mean it's cute and all since it's a play on my kids nicknames but it didn't really fit the point of my blog, my blog is not cute. It's about an ugly plague on maternity care in the US, women being hacked to pieces, physically and emotionally. And I know that isn't always the case for everyone but if you fall into that category, then you are probably not reading me anyhow. So as I considered changing the name of my blog, I started thinking about my upcoming first meeting of the new Morganton chapter of ICAN. I'm stealing a visual aid idea from Nancy Cohen, author of Silent Knife and Open Season. She asks anyone at her seminars who has had a less than adequate birth experience to come get a band-aid and put over their heart. So I want to take that idea and put it over a big "U" which represents all the un's that are associated with births today; that's a long list. It hit me that the boo boo patch is really very fitting. We have this huge boo boo that we try to cover with a band-aid either because we've been told we're not suppose to have bad feelings about our birth experience or we have to just go on and get over it. The gash never really heals and the band-aid just kinda holds it together. I believe we have a lot of women that belong to the boo boo patch. I want to make a difference and help women take the band-aid off and heal. So I guess this is the official Welcome to the Boo Boo Patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment